I decided to try making my own croutons for some soup I made my husband while he recovers from surgery. So I thought I’d share the recipe!
2-3 cups of 1 inch cut pieces of bread
2 1/2 tsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
Himalayan pink freshly ground sea salt to taste
A pinch of Organic Italian seasoning
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook for 15 minutes total.
2. Slice 2-3 cups of bread into 1 inch cubes. Using the butts of the bread loaf works great if you don’t normally enjoy eating them (like myself!), and make great crispy croutons!
3. Next melt the coconut oil in a large mixing bowl for 30 seconds in the microwave.
4. Toss the bread pieces in and mix well, to evenly coat with coconut oil. Season and add salt & pepper.
5. Evenly place the croutons on a foil covered baking sheet. After first 8 minutes mix croutons so they crisp evenly.
6. Let cook for the rest of the 7 minutes or until crisp and browned.
You’ve got yourself some simple, healthier homemade croutons with simple ingredients! It’s so much nicer knowing what exactly is in your food and how it’s handled in the safety of your kitchen/home! These taste buttery even though there’s no butter in the recipe! It’s a super tasty addition to soups, salads, pasta, anything really! I’d love to hear if you try this out and how you like it!